|USC South Campus|
|Overview of the Campus|
History of the USC Basic Education Department North Campus
The University of San Carlos Basic Education Department has been accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU) since 1985, and has maintained a high degree of excellence in its academic offerings and academic leadership among basic education schools in the region.
Over the years, USC BED North Campus (formerly called Boys High) has been producing graduates who excel in higher education, in their respective fields of profession and in sports. Several students have traveled to different countries to participate in various world sports competitions making the school a vital contributor to national pride.
USC BED North Campus proactively embraces the educational reforms by leading teaching and curriculum innovations to ensure students’ readiness for higher education or for specific fields of work.
USC BED North Campus traces its history from the free primary school opened in 1595 in Cebu’s Parian district by Spanish Jesuit missionaries Father Antonio Sedeño, Father Pedro Chirino, and Father Antonio Pereira. After sufficient endowment, the school was named the Colegio de San Ildefonso in 1606. The Colegio was moved to the wooden buildings in Martires Street in 1725 where it was housed until 1769 when the Jesuits were expelled from the Philippines.
A few years later the school was re-opened by Bishop Mateo Joaquin de Arevalo, with secular priests, as Real Seminario de San Carlos. From a primary school to a grammar school, the Colegio became a school for those who wanted to join the religious life. In 1852, the Dominican Fathers took over the school management from the Diocese of Cebu. In 1867, the Vincentians started administering Seminario-Colegio de San Carlos. During these years externos or students who lived outside the school-seminary and had no intention to become priests were accepted.
In 1891, the school started offering college courses. In 1924, the Vincentian Fathers segregated the students for the priesthood from high school and college students.
By virtue of a papal decree, the seminary became a separate entity while on the same campus with high school and college on the Martires school site. In 1927 only the high school department remained together with the seminary.
In 1935 the administration of the school was turned over to the Society of the Divine Word (SVD – Societas Verbi Divini). The high school campus was located along P. del Rosario Street. Although women have been admitted in college, the high school department remained exclusively for boys. The school ceased its operation on December 8, 1941 because of World War II. It reopened on August 1, 1945.
Upon the resumption of operations in 1947-1948, enrollment in the high school department increased tremendously so that night classes were began to be offered. Not so long after, the Boys High School was moved to its present site along General Maxilom Avenue in 1955. Two years later the night school was phased out.
Boys’ High became Boys’ School when the elementary education was offered to accommodate male pupils from the neighboring all-girls schools. The Elementary Department began by offering Grades 5 and 6 during in school year 1959-1960 and Grade 4 in school year 1966-1967. Boys’ School expanded from one grade level after another until it offered Grade 1 in school year 1969-1970. The kindergarten program was opened in school year 1980-1981.
In 2005, the exclusive Boys’ School has opened doors to the girls and renamed the school as USC Basic Education Department, North Campus. As physical expansion continued, Nursery education was offered in school year 2011-2012.
In 2012-2013, USC Basic Education Department pioneered the implementation of a Senior High School Program. Today, USC BED has created various ladderized programs in different academic tracks for Grades 11-12.