|Department of Library and Information Science|
|Overview of the Department|
|Aims and Objectives|
|Faculty and Staff|
|Grants and Recognition|
Overview of the Department
The Department of Library and Information Science was created as Department of Library Science in affiliation with the College of Liberal Arts in 1966. Library Science started out as a minor subject in the BSE curriculum in 1950-1951, a major BSE subject in 1953-1954 and a major field of concentration in the Bachelor of Arts curriculum in 1958-1959.
In 1970, the Department of Library Science, under the leadership of the first chair, Mrs. Nenita P. Sy, offered a graduate program leading to the degree, Master of Science in Library Science (MSLS). From 1971 to 1999, the Department of Library Science was the Graduate Center for Library Science, the first recognized and sponsored by the Fund for Assistance to Private Education (FAPE).
In 1987, under the stewardship of the chair, Atty Emma M. Acosta (1983-1989), the undergraduate curriculum underwent revisions to strengthen core areas in anticipation of the law professionalizing librarianship. Dr. Catalina Y. Diluvio, fresh from obtaining a doctorate degree in Library Science from the United States and set to become the second librarian in the country to do so, assumed chairmanship in 1989 and ably led in the preparation of graduates for the first licensure examinations in 1992. But Dr. Diluvio got sick and died young.
In 1998-1999, the new CHED mandated undergraduate curriculum, Bachelor of Arts major in Library and Information Science (AB-LIS) was implemented by the Department with Mrs. Evelyn Sanson as chair. In 2005, responding to CHED’s clarion call for a standardized Library Science curriculum in the country, the programs Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS), Master of Science in Library and Information Science (MSLIS) and Master in Library and Information Science (MLIS) were offered.
The first BLIS graduates were conferred their degrees in March 2008, the first MLIS in October 2008 and the first MSLIS batch in March 2010.
USC Director of LIbraries, Dr, Marilou P. Tadlip, served as concurrent chair on a part-time basis in 2007 until May 31, 2011. In April 2009, upon her written request and with the endorsement of Dr. Ramon S. del Fierro, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, the Vice-President for Academic Affairs, Fr. Felino B. Javines Jr., SVD approved the change of name of the department from Department of Library Science toDepartment of Library and Information Science.
The Department of Library and Information Science offers an undergraduate (Bachelor of Library and Information Science) and two graduate programs (Master of Library and Information Science – Thesis Program and Master of Library and Information Science – Non-Thesis Program).
For more information, please call the Office of the Chair at (+63 32) 253 1000 local 193.