Department of Electrical/Electronics
|Chair’s Welcome Message|
|Faculty and Staff|
|Grants and Recognition|
|Design/Research Projects 2003|
|Design/Research Projects 2004|
Overview of the Department
The Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (DEEE) had its beginnings when USC opened the program Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) in 1951. BSEE, along with Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, were subsequently offered after the College of Engineering initially opened in 1939 with the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering as the first program. The original home of the BSEE program was a building at the university’s downtown campus in P. del Rosario St., Cebu City, right beside the Santo Rosario Parish Church. The building then housed newly arrived equipment for the new programs of BSEE and BSME.
With the construction of the USC Technological Center building (now the Lawrence Bunzel Building) in the sprawling Talamban Campus in the mid-1960’s, the College of Engineering moved to its new home in 1967. The BSEE program was assigned a place on the third floor of the building where the EE Department office, classrooms and laboratories for the BSEE programs are located. Laboratory equipment which came from Germany was installed in the EE laboratory, and a number of this durable equipment is in good working condition until now.
In the late 1960’s, the BSEE program started to have a visiting professor from Syracuse University in New York in the person of Dr. John Brulé. Dr. Brulé was instrumental in the development and modernization of the program with his annual visits that usually lasted for three months at a time until the late 1990’s. Foremost of his notable achievements was facilitating the Philippines’ first live internet connection during the First International E-mail Conference in 1994 at the USC Technological Center.
The BSEE program of USC was one of the first engineering programs to be accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) in 1974. With the help of Dr. Brulé, the EE Department developed the program Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering (BSECE), which was first offered in 1977. To reflect the addition of the new offering, the department was renamed the EE/ECE Department. With the rise of technology towards electronic computing, the EE/ECE Department developed the Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (BSCOMPE) program which was offered starting 1986. With the new programs of BSECE and BSCOMPE in the broadening field of electrical engineering, the BSEE program focused on electrical power and energy technologies and applications.Today the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (DEEE) offers graduate programs in addition to BSEE and BSECE. These are the Master of Engineering in EE with major in Control Systems, and Master of Engineering in ECE with majors in Microelectronics, Computer and Communications, and Control Systems. Faculty and students of the department do research in embedded systems, cognitive radio, antenna systems, wireless sensor networks, IC design and renewable energy systems and technologies.